Dr. David Samadi focuses his medical career on the treatment and prevention of prostate cancer. He stresses the importance of early detection. Statistics show that 90 percent of patients with an early diagnosis will enjoy a cure. Samadi is skilled in the operating room as well. He uses the latest robotic technology to treat prostate cancer patients.
Dr. Samadi is the only New York surgeon to use the Da Vinci surgical system, which offers minimally invasive ways to remove cancer. To date, he has performed over 7,000 robotic prostate surgeries. As a medical correspondent for Fox News, he has often discussed how foods influence the prostate.
Here are items that should be avoided and included in every man’s diet.
Foods that are Linked to Prostate Cancer
As chairman of the American Urological Association, Dr. David Samadi understands that certain foods have been tied to the development of prostate cancer, especially when eaten in large quantities.
- Processed or Red Meat – Most meals include some type of processed or red meat portions, but these foods may raise the risks of developing prostate cancer. Many times, it is the way that meat is prepared, which causes problems. When meat is grilled, heterocyclic amines are produced. In scientific studies, rodents that were fed a high number of HCAs developed tumors in various organs, including the prostate.
- Saturated or Trans Fat – Most people believe that a fatty diet causes heart problems. However, it may be linked to prostate cancer as well. A recent study found that males with aggressive prostate cancer consumed high levels of cholesterol and filled their diets with calories from fatty foods. To prevent prostate cancer, it is wise to lower intake of saturated and trans fats.
- Alcohol – A clinical trial uncovered a link between prostate cancer and alcohol intake. Heavy drinking, or people who consume more than three drinks each day, have double the chances of being diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer. To prevent problems, it is better to substitute sparkling juices or non-alcoholic beverages for alcohol.
- Sugars and Carbohydrates – Cancer cells must have sugar to use as fuel. This means that it is essential for a man to lower his consumption of sweet foods or items that are rich in carbohydrates. Besides the obvious desserts like cookies, cakes, and pies, it is important to avoid drinks that are filled with sugar, including soda. Refined carbohydrates are bad as well. These include white rice and white flour.
Foods that Encourage a Healthy Prostate
As Dr. Samadi trained at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, he was able to take advantage of the numerous resources, equipment, and research to help prevent and treat prostate cancer. Through his education, he learned that a few foods may encourage a healthy prostate. Many studies show that eating meals that are filled with fresh fruits and vegetables may lower a man’s risks of developing this condition. Here are specific foods that should be incorporated into a man’s diet.
- Fatty Fish – Tuna, salmon, and mackerel are just a few fish that are filled with essential fatty acids. These have an anti-inflammatory effect and hamper the development of prostate cancer and other tumors. For best results, it is recommended to eat two servings of fish each week.
- Berries – Most berries are rich in vitamin C. They also contain antioxidants, which boost the body’s immunity and prevent free radical damage, which may be responsible for cancer. The best berries to eat include strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
- Legumes – Since red meat is often a person’s main source of protein, better alternatives are beans. Beans are high in fiber as well. Certain medical studies have shown that fibrous foods help to control prostate cancer progression.
- Nuts – When a person is hungry between meals, he or she may reach for a bag of chips or similar snacks. Smarter options are nuts, especially Brazil nuts. These items are filled with selenium, which is a mineral that fights prostate cancer. Almonds and walnuts are beneficial as well.
Dr. Samadi is a strong believer in prostate cancer prevention. The above diet tips will help a man to fill his meals with foods that should improve his overall health and lower the chances of developing the disease. Also, he advises men to be screened for prostate cancer. The test is simple, and the benefits that it brings can save a life.